In this French grammar lesson, you will learn about semi-regular cer verbs conjugation in the present tense.
In this lesson you will learn about:
- how semi-regular cer verbs are conjugated in French
- the common semi-regular cer verbs in French
- how semi-regular cer verbs are pronounced in French
- how semi-regular cer verbs is used in sentences in French
- how semi-regular cer verbs conjugation Anki files can be downloaded
- how you can quiz yourself on semi-regular cer verbs conjugation
By the end of the lesson, you will know all about semi-regular cer verbs conjugation in the present tense!
Table of Contents
Semi-regular cer Verbs Conjugation Table
|new ending||commencer (to start)|
Semi-regular cer Verbs Conjugation Method
There is a three-step method that will make conjugating semi-regular cer verbs very easy for you.
In order to conjugate semi-regular -cer verbs in the present tense one must:
- Find the infinitive (full verb)
- Cut off the -cer
- Add the new ending (e, es, e, çons, ez, ent)
In the conjugation table above you can see the verb commencer which means “to start/to begin” in English.
We will take this verb and conjugate it in the “nous” form using the three-step method.
The full verb of “to start” is commencer in French.
Once you cut of the cer ending all that is left is commen.
When we add the new çons ending, the final conjugated form will be commençons.
So if we wish to say “we begin” we say:
In French some verbs change in the “nous” form so that they are easier to pronounce.
The “c” becomes “ç” before the letter “o”.
This is done in order to keep the soft c sound before the a/o/u vowels.
Common Semi-regular -cer Verbs
French has three regular verb groups
- regular -er verbs
- regular -ir verbs
- regular -re verbs
Semi-regular cer verbs are a variation on regular er verbs. That is why the endings are so similar.
Here is a list of common verbs that you are sure to encounter in day-to-day life:
|avancer||to move forward|
|renoncer||to give up|
Pronunciation of Semi-regular cer verbs
In this section on semi-regular cer verbs conjugation, we will focus on pronunciation.
There are 4 important rules to take into account when yyou want to pronounce semi-regular cer verbs in French.
- The je, tu, il/elle/on, and ils/elles verb forms all have the same pronunciation. The -e, –es, and -ent endings are not pronounced. In this case, it is just the “commenc” part that gets pronounced.
All these verbs have the same exact pronunciation.
You don’t pronounce the letters in red.
- The “ç” in the nous form will have a soft pronunciation.
Please note the soft “ç” sound.
- In the je form, there’s a special rule. If the first letter of the verb is a vowel or a silent “h“, then you must remove the “e” of “je” and replace this with an apostrophe.
Because the “e” of “je” disappeared, you then don’t have to pronounce that “e” anymore.
Please note how it is NOT “je annonce“. This would be wrong.
- If the first letter of the verb is a vowel or a silent “h“, then we must perform a liaison. This happens in the nous, vous, and ils/elles form. This means that the final “s” of nous, vous, and ils/elles will have a “z” sound.
Please note how the final “s” in all of the subject pronouns sounds like a “z”
Example Sentences with Semi-regular cer Verbs
The final section of this lesson on semi-regular cer verbs conjugation is about seeing the verbs in action.
This is valuable because you can improve your understanding of semi-regular cer verbs conjugation through examples.
J’annonce ma candidature pour 2016.
I’m announcing my candidacy for 2016.
Ça dépend de comment tu avances.
It’s about how you move on.
Efface ce commentaire.
Delete this comment.
Certains projets que nous finançons sont superbes.
Some of the projects we fund are superb.
Vous influencez la police, maintenant.
You’re influencing the police now.
Les deux parties renoncent à leurs droits à un procès avec jury.
Both parties waive their rights to a jury trial.
Quiz Yourself on Semi-regular cer Verbs Conjugation
It’s not enough to just read this lesson.
You should test your knowledge to see if you really understood everything, and to be able to repeat the material.
It is also for this reason that it is recommended to download the Anki Decks and practice them.
At the end of every lesson you can do a small test.
You will see the sentences of the previous chapter. It is up to you to give the correct answer.
You will either need to fill in the blanks, choose the correct multiple choice option, or both.
Once you are done the correct answer will be shown.
You can redo the quiz as many times as you want!
Anki File for Semi-regular cer Verbs Conjugation
It is important to do the Anki exercises for this lesson so that you can better remember what you just studied.
By downloading the Anki File for French A1, you can practice every French A1 lesson that is on Language Atlas.
You can also choose to just get the Anki File for French A1 Verbs. This only has the verbs for French A1.
If you don’t know why you should use Anki, or if you don’t know what Anki is, then please click here.
Anki can be downloaded from here.